After eight days on the hard, we are finally back in the water again. Returning to the water is just as exciting as the haul-out. The Travelift moves into place, encompassing Cups on both sides. The straps are moved into place and take the weight off the supports. The cradle and stands are removed and then the slow process of moving the boat back to the water begins. The distance is very short, but boats are close together and there seem to be all sorts of obstacles in the way that must be avoided. The marina crew here are professional and experienced. They're careful and precise and we appreciate their expertise. Once the lift is lined up with the tracks on either side of the haul-out berth, the driver painstakingly backs up along the tracks maneuvering Cups into place over the water. He lowers the boat into the water, then allows the crew to board over the bow, just as the boat is even with the dock. He lowers her the rest of the way into the water.

Being out of the water introduces some issues of its own. Minor things, but not to be forgotten, like turning on the bilge pump again, opening the thru-hull for the engine intake and burping the prop shaft seal. David also replaced the depth/speed transducer and replaced a stopcock on the forward head thru-hull. All of these things must be checked before the Travelift turns us loose. We have a little checklist because our memories are not what they used to be. Sometimes finding the checklist is an issue unto itself. Long story short, the splash went without incident.

We've moved back to our original slip in the marina. It's just around the breakwater and near the fuel dock. It's pretty easy access and egress which is to our benefit. We usually spend more time at sea than getting into berths and we're sometimes a bit rusty. Cups is all tied up and snug once again, but she kind of resisted heading back into the slip. After all this sprucing up, she's anxious to get out on the water again...as is her crew.

By the way...

We've gotten an increasing number of people wondering how the brew is doing. The brew has aged perfectly and David is now enjoying Australia Pale Ale in the evenings with dinner. The cider was bottled today and takes longer to age. It should be ready just in time for old Saint Nick's visit ... athough we anticipate some quality control sampling necessary along the way.